Weight loss after bariatric surgeries is mainly due to hormonal and genetic changes. These hormones and genes control body energy balance including fat mass. They set a value for fat storage, that is called as fat set point.
Unhealthy foods, lack of physical activity, irregular food habits, lack of sleep, and stress will reset the fat set point to a higher level. People suffering from severe obesity can’t lose weight or maintain long lasting weight loss with healthy diet and physical activity alone as their bodies got adopted to a higher fat mass.
While bariatric surgery resets this fat set point to a lower level significantly,
it is necessary to stick on to healthy life style that includes regular physical activity, to maintain this fat set point at a lower level.
After bariatric surgeries physical activity is necessary to
– increase weight loss
– maintain weight loss
– prevent weight regain
– prevent muscle loss
– maintain lean muscle mass
TYPES OF POST BARIATRIC PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
1. RESISTANCE TRAINING
(MUSCLE STRENGTHENING EXERCISE):
Best physical activity is resistance training that helps in building muscles.
– Use dumbbells, barbells & machines
– Exercise either at gym or home
– Select different groups of muscles each time and repeat twice weekly
– Aim at 8 to 12 repetitions (Slowly increase to 12 – 20 repetitions) 4 to 5 sets
– Start with light weights and gradually increase weights
– Take the help of trainer
– Have a gym partner
You can also get pilates training instead of using gym. Muscle mass is necessary to increase basal metabolic rate and burn more calories.
2. AEROBIC EXERCISES (CARDIO EXERCISES):
Aerobic exercises help to maintain endurance. Add aerobic exercises to resistance training
– Use Treadmill or Cross trainer. Watch a series or a movie while doing physical activity
– Avoid jogging and running as they affect your joints especially when BMI is above 30 kg/m2.
– Basket Ball
– Volley Ball
– Foot Ball
BENEFITS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
– Burns fat
– Improves immunity
– Relieves stress
– Improves confidence
– Improves quality of sleep
In the initial month after bariatric surgery, just stick on to frequent walking – This is mainly to prevent blood clots in the legs. Do deep breathing exercises to maintain respiratory health.
Start all types of physical activity one month after surgery after consulting your surgeon.
– Start slow.
– Increase the duration, frequency and intensity over a period of time.
– Keep a track of your physical activity. Weights used & number of repetitions in case of resistance training. Distance covered & duration in case of aerobic exercises.
– You are doing exercise mainly for muscle health. Surgery will take care of weight loss part.
– Minimum 30 min of physical activity per day and 150 min of physical activity per week is necessary. If you can’t achieve 30 min at a time, make it 3 X 10 min exercises in a day.
– Hydrate yourself well
– Monitor your heart rate
– Warm up and cool down
– Be consistent..
ARE YOU SUFFERING FROM OBESITY AND SEVERE DIABETES?
TAKE EXPERT OPINION NOW…
Subscribe to watch more videos
BOOK APPOINTMENT NOW..
Dr. AMAR VENNAPUSA
Chief Consultant Bariatric & Metabolic Surgeon
Dr. Amar Bariatric & Metabolic Center,